pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

The sock that found his pair.

Once upon a time, there were 2 young girls who were best of friends. Sure they fought and were catty with each other as most girls are at a young age, but they still cared for each other dearly and no matter what differences they had, they always remained wonderful friends.
Like most young girls, they dreamed how their future would be. They'd spend hours and hours imagining how they'd be in their teens, 20s and 30's. Whether they would be married or not, whether they'd be living in a different country, and whether they'd have children. Most of these type of conversations would be as so:

Girl #1: I think you'd get married before me.

Girl #2: No, I think you'd get married before me.  And I think you'll have a child before me.

Girl #1: No way! You'll totally have a child before me!

Girl #2: Are you crazy! You're much more likely to have one before me!

And so on..........

One day the girls came across an adorable pair of turquoise colored knitted baby socks.  Girl #1 had a brilliant idea! She gave Girl #2 one side of the sock and said " Here, you take one and I'll take one. When we grow up and when one of us has a child, we'll give our side to the other. You have to promise me you'll keep it until that day! It'll be our special sock. Our special present to each other when either one of us becomes a mother. "
Girl #2 hugged her friend, promising to keep the sock until that day, whenever it would be.



Years went by. Both girls eventually moved away from home. Both forgot about the sock. Both went on to do very different things and although they could not see each other as often any more, they still called each other and enjoyed long conversations.
Before long, Girl #2 got married and Girl #1 traveled for hours to go to her friends wedding. Neither one had seen each other for years, so a wonderful reunion it was! Girl #1 introduced her boyfriend to married Girl #2 and she like wise introduced her husband.  They reminisced how their lives changed so much since their childhood and wondered how much more it would change.

Another year went by and Girl #2 received an unexpected call from Girl #1.

Girl #1: I'm having a baby!!!!

Girl #2: OHG! Congratulations! 

It was only an hour into a hysterically happy phone call that Girl #2 remembered about the sock.

Joanna, my dear friend. Here is my side of the sock that I've kept for,exactly how long, I do not know. It has to be at least over 10 years old. It's a little rough around the edges. Time has made a few stains on the pair and to be honest, I thought about throwing it out a couple of times. You know, those times when I'd go through my things and get rid of whatever I'm not using. But I knew I couldn't let you down. I honestly always felt that I'd be the one to send the sock away. I was right! HA!
Its only appropriate that you'd get the sock as you were the one with the idea and I know for sure that you have your side right!? The sentimental thing that you are. I believe this is the most sentimental thing I've done in my life and I'm SO glad that I didn't throw it away.
I love you to bits and can't wait to watch you change into motherhood. One day I'd like to think you'll tell this story to your child.  One day, not to to far in the future, I hope to see you and your soon to be born child.

3 comments:

  1. ohhhh man, thats soo sweeeet! and such a cute sock too lol!! i never knew you 2 had that arrangement, so cool! just u wait pegs! We never thought you'd marry but you have! so you just never know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great story to share! Congrats to your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just sent her the sock yesterday. I can't wait till she gets it!

    ReplyDelete