pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Eat Your Greens!

Since getting into raw food, I started drinking a green smoothie a couple times a week. That increased to a daily green smoothie. I am now totally addicted and seeing great results that I think this deserves a post!

What's a green smoothie? 
A couple handfuls of leafy greens, fresh fruit and water all blended up in a blender. Easy peasy and oh, so healthy for you!

Why is it so healthy?
Here are just a few health benefits and properties.

  • Greens are powerful antioxidants that support the immune system.
  • Greens contain a variety of phytonutrients including beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, which protect your cells from damage and your eyes from age-related problems
  • Greens are high and nutrients and enzymes necessary for your body to function, such as iron, calcium, potassium, and magnesium and vitamins, including vitamins, K, C, E, and many of the B vitamins. 
  • Green plant foods balance your pH. Many foods are acidic in natural and can lead to health issues, so consuming foods like greens balances your body's pH level making it more alkaline. 
  • The Chlorophyll in green plants acts as a blood detoxifier. Chlorophyll is the green pigment formed in most plants when they are exposed to sunlight. 
  • Some dark greens include omega-3 essential fatty acids, which are very important in the body's functions, especially for the brain.
  • Greens also contain a good amount of protein. Spirulina, a blue-green algae, is  65 to 71 percent complete protein, with all essential amino acids in perfect balance. In comparison, beef is only 22 percent protein.
The list goes on and on, but I think you get the point. Green vegetables, particularly the darker, are good for you! 
Ok, now to the list of benefits I've come across from drinking a daily green smoothie. 
  • I'm noticing a difference in my muscle tone. I'm finally seeing (some) abs and biceps! I'm not sure if this has to do with doing regular toning exercises along with running and yoga. But a few months ago I wasn't as defined even though I was still exercising a lot. The only thing that I have to say has changed is my diet.
  • My running has improved. Again, I'm not sure if my improvement has something to do with the weather becoming cooler and that automatically makes running easier. What I have noticed though is that my stamina has increased without much effort on my part. I feel light and strong when I run.
  • People have asked if I've lost weight. It doesn't feel like I've lost actual weight(haven't stepped on the scale lately), but rather lost fat and gained muscle. I guess this explains having more visible muscle tone.
  • I wake up feeling energized. Even if I only had a couple hours of sleep the night before, I feel wide awake and energetic in the mornings. Gone are my late afternoon naps that I was taking a little while back. 
  • My nails are not splitting as much as they used to. In fact, they've become pretty strong! 
  • My hair looks healthier (in my opinion)
I always considered myself to be a high vegetable eater, so I didn't expect to see much of a change in how I felt or looked. I just was hoping to get more vitamins and minerals in my diet, so I am quite pleased with the results I'm getting from my daily dose of Shrek. 

I'm hooked! 

Other ways I've been enjoying my greens.
Green raw soup

Green raw dip


I recently tried Lilia's recommended cucumber and apple juice. It was so fresh and delicious! 


 I wish I had one of them special high speed blenders. It would take my smoothies to a totally different level. One day one day! Until then, I'm putting my cheap blender to very good use! 
Now, go make yourself a green smoothie everyone! 

What I use most regularly:
lots of spinach
banana
tangerine (みかん)
ginger
spirulina
maca

You can't really go wrong with smoothies. If it taste too green, add more fruit or a date. If its too sweet, add more greens. :) Experiment and have fun! 



1 comment:

  1. Looks healthy. Good for you sis! Those greens in the green gue, look, real.......green....

    Glad you two are happy N healthy!

    ReplyDelete