pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Raw pasta and cookies.

I am SO happy I now have a food processor! I have a blender and sometimes use it to make soups and dips, but mainly smoothies. Its was always a little challenging making thicker paste things. A blender is deep with short blades, so more useful for a liquid substance.
Now I can do a lot more things with a food processor!
I knew exactly what I was going to make the first time I used the food processor...Zucchini Pasta Marinara. The key thing was that it as going to be 100% raw, vegan and gluten free.

Instead of wheat pasta - raw zucchini! With a peeler, I peeled the zucchini into long strips to resemble regular pasta. So much easier and faster then boiling water and cooking pasta!

For the Marinara sauce I used:
Sun-dried tomatoes(soaked in water for 30min), regular tomatoes, red-bell peppers, garlic, olive oil, dried basil and oregano and a dash of salt.
Threw it all in the food processor. Processed for just a few seconds.


And WALA! A beautiful and tasty Marinara sauce.


Spooned some over my shredded zucchini and now to eat!


OMG! Best pasta ever! I was really blown away by how tasty the sauce is and since this was my first time to have zucchini raw like this I was quite impressed with that as well. The texture was just right and since zucchini is a little bit bland (just like regular pasta) the flavorful sauce made everything come together perfectly! The sauce alone is really the best tomato sauce and I'm really looking forward to Motozo trying this since he loves pasta.

The meal didn't stop there! Earlier in the afternoon I made raw cookies using only 3 ingredients. Sesame, maple syrup and shredded coconut.
I saw this recipe on youtube and thought, "How easy!"

First, in my mill, I ground up the sesame seeds into a flour texture.


Added the maple syrup. This is where I screwed up the recipe. It actually called for 2 teaspoons of honey, but since I don't eat honey (not vegan) I decided to use maple syrup. I accidentally misread tsp as tbsp. So I put in 2 tablespoons of the syrup. OOPS! You can see that I do a lot of cooking yeah? haha
They turned out a little wet, but still fine.


Divided the mixture into 4s. I love how this recipe is only for 4 small cookies. Makes it easier to prevent over eating.
Rolled them each in shredded coconut and left them in the freezer for a good 2 hours. They hardened real nicely, but didn't freeze and turned out lovely! Maybe a little on the sweet side, so I'll diffidently have to make these again with the right measurements!


This turned out to be a very successful raw meal and I'm so excited about trying out more raw recipes.
Lilia, you mentioned that Maxim got into raw for a little bit. Any good recipes to share?

2 comments:

  1. ohh wow!! raw zuchini sounds intersting, will sow max this, hed totally go for it! the proceessor sounds really good! sesame ground seems yum too! we have almond flour and max sometimes makes almond milk by straining crushed alm with water/sweetner, no real recipesthough but i think he was on that site you have and lots of juicing sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa the cookies look so good!
    i bet they were sweeeeet because sesame is surprisingly so

    ReplyDelete