pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Shoes and cookies.

As a runner who considers herself pretty savvy for running do's and don'ts, I certainly fall short in the department of keeping my running shoes fairly fresh.
Most runners own 2-3 pairs which they rotate on a regular basis so it prevents one from getting worn out too soon. Very logical and highly recommendable!
And yet, I've always only own 1 pair, (minus the many worn out pairs I don't have the heart to throw out) that I use until I see signs that its in need of a replacement.
Depending on your weight,height, and smoothness of your gait, an average life of most running shoes is 583-804 kilometers. According to those numbers, I should be replacing my shoes AT LEAST 2Xs a year. If one year I'm training for a marathon then I should expect to go through 3 pairs. 
But shame on me, I've never done this. I've always worn the same pair for at least a year before getting a new one.
That time of year rolled around again.....oh, 3 months ago. So 2 days ago I finally forced myself to the sports store. You'd think I'd be excited to go shopping, but no, not really. The problem is the shoe I want is usually not in my size. After MUCH trial and error I know the exact shoe I want and for the pass 3 years I've always stuck with the same one. They've never failed me so theres really no point in changing brands. I'm an Asics lover!
Just as I expected, the shop was out of my size. The shop clerk tried persuading me to buy Nike or NewBalance.....nope, can't do it! So he shyly said they have the Asics in my size BUT it's the men's model.
Tried them on, loved them, bought them. The main reason I was so thrilled with them was the color. I am a such a girl.
I've worn pink for years now,but only because there wasn't any other color available . Why can't they make blue or green female shoes eh? Take a look at the blue beauties!

As you can see, I put my running shoes to good use! A little sick of me, but that dirty shoe makes me proud! It shows its been through a lot!


I got a little carried away and did a little Him & Her shoe :)


The comfort of the shoes - fabulous! The difference from the old shoes is seriously shocking! Now I'm actually contemplating getting another pair of shoe so I can rotate and retain the cushion and spring I feel a little longer. The shoes made me feel like I was flying! The 2 runs I've done in them have got to be the most enjoyable runs I've had in a long time. WOOHOO!

Food time! I was inspired yesterday to use my newly purchased vanilla agave. I wasn't in the mood to follow a recipe so I made some raw cookies with my own imagination and the limits of what I have in my cupboards.

What I used:
  • Raw hemp protein power
  • Ground black sesame seeds (white probably would have made the cookies look more appealing)
  • Ground flaxseed
  • Unsweetened shredded coconuts
  • Lacuma powder
  • Vanilla flavored agave
Threw everything together.


Mixed and soon learned that a little bit of agave goes a LONG way! I put too much agave in (sob sob, precious agave wasted!) as they turned out too wet and I had to add in more coconut shreds. I put them in the freezer for 30mins to hardened a little so I can mold them into cookie shapes. They still were a little sticky, but I managed and licked my fingers happily and transfered them back into the freezer.

I know they don't look very appealing. The green from the hemp protein and black from the sesame makes for some hamburger looking cookies ha.  

         

Before and after the freezer                                                       
                                                                                                    


The taste - OH SO DELICIOUS! Maybe a little too sweet, but they still made me very happy.
The nutrition value is not too bad as well. Protein, omega 3 and calcium rich! :)
It'll be fun to play around with by using less agave and maybe add some nuts next time.
And umm....maybe work on the presentation as well haha. Brown/green cookies...don't they look yummy?

4 comments:

  1. hahaha I cracked up so hard at the getting carried away, his and her shoes lol you're such a dork. :P you really did use up that shoe!

    Those cookies sound really good...but yes the looks..."globs of cow manure" haha to put it plainly. I'd like to try agave actually never had some, also lacuma powder never tried. Will have a look at the health food store next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA! Right!? I totally was thinking the same thing. Green and black just doesn't make for tasty looking cookies. The taste was good though. Its my first time to make something with agave. I've read a lot about how it's not very good for you and hard core raw foodist don't go near it. But I was curious to how my sweets would taste. Agave is very sweet so using just a little to sweeten things is a good idea.
    Lacuma powder is very good. It has a vanilla like flavor that can be used as a substitute sweetener. I've added it a few times to my green smoothies, but to be honest I didn't feel like it sweetened things up. Perhaps I didn't use enough.
    Lacuma Powder is often used in making raw vanilla ice-cream though so it should be tasty if I an learn how much is a good amount.

    Yeah, I'm a dork :) haha. I wonder what Motozo will think of the Him & Her shoe....he doesn't read my blog which is probably a good thing, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies DO look good. You are definitely a nutritionist freak. All good though.
    The time you take to let us know about your fetish for the perfect shoe makes me feel happy I have such a smart sister. It's almost to the point of vintage, but I won't go there.
    The picture of the ingredients looks like a real freak. All good though. Thanks for posting Meg. Nice posts! Keep'm up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool how used that shoe was, its the perfect example of 'clean and dirty' 'old and new' hehe.
    I KNOWWw!! OMG girl shoes are ALWAYS! always always in pink or something. Green or blue shoes are rarely in the girls section, sigh.

    Those cookies actually look pretty yum. Hehe, or that's just me imagining how they would taste.

    ReplyDelete