pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

32hr Fast!



For a while now Motozo and I have contemplating doing a fast for detox reasons.
So finally we set a date and since we had a 3 day weekend we decided to fast on Monday, yesterday. I'm happy to say, we made it!

Motozo was a lot more hard core then me and didn't want to drink anything but water. He eventually cracked and had some lemon water that I choose to drink all day long instead of just plain water.
I also had about 4 glasses throughout the day of the
Master Cleanse Lemonade which consist of Lemons, Maple Syrup and Cayenne Pepper. The real Master Cleanse is minimum of 10 days and you need proper Grade B Maple Syrup along with taking a daily laxative tea and/or Celtic sea salt flush to help with elimination. Whats a detox without proper elimination yeah? Since I only planned to fast for one day I didn't really make sure my maple syrup was grade B (its organic is all I know) or take any laxatives since I'm pretty regular in the morning.

I think this detox was perfectly what we needed after a long holiday and drinking on a daily basis. Also, ever since being back my sleeping schedule has been totally screwed. Jet lag has given me a bad sleeping schedule and I'm waking up pass 10AM and still feeling tired. Some nights I can't fall asleep until 5-6AM and the cycle continues of sleeping in late and falling asleep WAY too late.
The good thing about fasting is that I could allow myself to be as lethargic as I wanted to, well..I still wanted to go for a walk to get some fresh air, but after 30mins or so I was just too fatigued and both Motozo and I took a nap for a couple of hours when we got back.
The desire for food hit pretty strongly around 5PM and didn't have much energy but to lie on the couch and watch TV. I really dislike feeling so fatigued, so a couple of times I told Motozo I'm going to eat, but I managed to stay strong! We both went to bed early and I finally had the BEST sleep I had since coming back from France which was 2 weeks ago. I got up a couple of times to use the wash room since I drank probably 1 gallon of water throughout the day. And at one point, I was still half sleeping as I was making my way to the bathroom and WHAM! I walked right into the wall and I now I have lovely bump on my forehead.

But despite the fatigue and swollen forehead, I'm really glad I did it. I have to say I was VERY impressed with Motozo, who has a great appetite and is accustomed to eating large meals. The interesting thing is, we both woke up not very hungry so portion control was very easy for our first meal.
Infact I ate less then I usually eat for breakfast and felt completely satisfied.

I'm now very interested in doing the Master Cleanse PROPERLY for a full 10 days. Apparently, a lot of people who do it still have energy to go to work and exercise because its recommended to drink a minimum of 6-12 glasses a day of the lemonade which roughly gives you 1200 calories. Of course, everyone's body is different and some have rougher symptoms then others, but I want to try this cleanse somewhere around New Years or at the end of the year. Cleanse my body for 2011!

Here's to health!

5 comments:

  1. ohh wow that sounds really difficult! 3 days without food, I can barely go for 3 hours without food :P. Putting body into starvation mode is really good once in a while to repair body. After all that wine it must feel good :) funny how you bashed your head on a wall lol, must be harsh to have to go to work jet lagged...hope you get back on schedule soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,no, we only fasted for one day haha.
    But it was much harder then I thought. I thought....easy peasy......but I seriously was so obsessed with food haha. I looked up all these yummy recipes, stupidly making it worse for myself ha. Apparently, if you actually do the proper 10 day Master Cleanse then you get to a point where you become so deattached to food and you think about it less.
    Yeah, its funny that I walked into the wall. It wasn't so funny when it happened though ha.
    I feel great after only one day of fasting though! So much lighter, cleaner and I don't want to lose that feeling so I'm eating well. We'll see how long it lasts haha.
    Thanks for your kind words. I'm not working now so I have the luxury of sleeping in if I want to, but I don't want to become a lazy housewife. I've been keeping the house really clean and doing some things that we've put off for ages...like printing out our wedding photos and creating an album and I'm trying to take a yoga class daily. I feel kind of bad not making a salary, but I'm not inspired to go back to the gym. I may start teaching another class during the week though and my boss is asking me more frequently to sub for his classes so I'm getting back into my yoga groove :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a hit on the head? That's gotta hurt. Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, I need motivation! Yoga in the UK is SOOOO expensive and I find it hard to do it myself at home! Wish I was living near you so you could give me personal lessons!
    I miss Japan and am thinking of coming back next year! I'm going to start blogging again now. Well done with your detox. I don't think that's something I could ever do unless I was so sick that I physically couldn't eat!
    Speak soon. x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much is it in the UK? Is it more expensive then Japan? Maybe you can look into yoga DVD's...of course they aren't ideal and a lot of them are hit and miss, but then you have something to follow.

    I went to your blog! I'm so excited that you're thinking of coming back to Japan. I'd be thrilled to do yoga with you. We can go to the park or Kamakura (I totally regret I didn't visit you while you were down there!)
    Sounds like you're in the same situation as me....wondering whats good for the future. So many interest so its hard to decide one specific course. We'll find something concrete soon though, no worries.
    Thrilled you have more time to blog now :)

    ReplyDelete